Sorry, but monetary considerations were and are secondary on a news story.

I've been a professional journalist for 15 years in all sorts of positions,
including management and including two stints as publisher of small
publications. I've also been a career-long member of the Society of
Professional Journalists and a former president of the San Diego chapter (if
you want to compare credentials).

When a big story breaks, the news comes first. It's not greed. Yes, it's
credibility -- you're credibility is at stake -- but it's not credibility
aimed at increasing profits, it's credibility aimed at retaining viability.
It's about quality.  There's a nuance of difference between doing something
because you think it might mean bigger profits down the road, and doing
something because you want to retain reader and viewer respect, let alone
your own self respect. Profitability and viability is only a by product of
doing a good job.

Many of these newspapers that published special editions, including my own,
have no direct competition, so they are not likely to lose readers if they
don't roll the presses in the middle of the day.

And if all of the networks run continuous coverage, then there is no real
advantage in one over the other.  They are not going to gain any new viewers
because of it.  Sure, they might lose if they don't, but these are news
organizations populated from top to bottom people who are life-long news
professionals (I've met many of them, including icons such as Don Hewitt and
Sid Mickelson).

Yes, these news organizations (including mine, E.W. Scripps) are publicly
owned and ultimately accountable to their stock holders, but they are
accountable first (and this is certainly true of E.W. Scripps) to their own
conscience.

H.