-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Skinner

Isn't there a hard and fast rule that before a vowel you use an?

SO whether it is an URL,

or an Uniform Resource Locater, it's still before a vowel?

-Gel

The rule is "a" before a consonant and "an" before vowels or vowel-like
sounds.  It's how the next word is pronounced not spelled.

<quote>
We use a before singular count-nouns that begin with consonants (a cow,
a barn, a sheep); we use an before singular count-nouns that begin with
vowels or vowel-like sounds (an apple, an urban blight, an open door).
Words that begin with an h sound often require an a (as in a horse, a
history book, a hotel), but if an h-word begins with an actual vowel
sound, use an an (as in an hour, an honor).
</quote>