Ah yes, I don't know if there are regulations for "free-range." It
could very well be akin to 'lite' - which means nothing.

I would love to eat that way. When I was in Nigeria, our chickens were
running around the yard until the day we ate them. Our produce always
came from the market. Bread came from the person that baked it. Of
course, that also meant our diet was pretty limited.

If I could afford to do that here, I would. I love when my friends
with chickens give us eggs. They're way tastier and I know the
chickens are loved. But, I can't afford to spend 2.50 a dozen for
organic free range eggs when I can get a normal dozen for 79 cents.
*sigh*

I read a good article about this family that didn't give any money to
charity, but considered their food purchasing habits to be their
contribution towards supporting the ideals that were important to
them. It's a good idea.