I guess i dont see any difference. Any future problems would be pretty much handled the same way. The 500+ voting margin in Florida in 2000 gave Bush Florida's electoral votes. Those represented a MUCH greater percentage of the 270 needed than the incredibly small margin of victory in the popular vote would of given him.

The electoral college gave Bush the 2000 election. Without it, Gore wins, by the popular vote....and thats just the way it should be.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bill Wheatley
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 8:26 AM
  Subject: Re: Electoral College/DNC

  Jim I was thinking about it, and before i would be for removing the electoral college.

  But heres the problem i keep getting to in my head.
  Its the state's job to elect the president, thats not going to change even if they get rid of the electoral college unless they amend the constitution.

  So heres the problem.
  Currently, like we had in retarded Florida (glad to live here) we had a problem with votes etc etc. So if they couldn't get a vote certified before the deadline the state congress would then put its electoral votes towards whichever candidate it wanted. Which makes sense to me because its really the states jobs to elect the president.

  So we remove the electoral college and we have just votes is all. What if there is another screw up and then the states have to vote for the president. Do they vote all of the registered voters in their state towards a candidate like they would do with electoral votes? What specifically would happen?

  I mean i know 999/1000 times we won't ever have a problem but once we do we don't have the saftey net of the state congress can pick where to put their votes. I mean i guess they could vote all their registered voters towards a candidate but they would probably annoy me more then if they with their electoral votes.

  William Wheatley
  Coldfusion Guru

  <snip>