Yes, that is correct, what i was suggesting was a plurality over a majority.

You are correctly describing things how they currently are....i was opining on changes to that system.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Nick McClure
  To: CF-Community
  Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2004 9:29 AM
  Subject: RE: Electoral College/DNC

  That is not a majority; a majority is getting greater than 50% of all votes
  cast. Getting more than any other single choice is a plurality.

  There was a 500,000 vote difference between Bush and Gore, and Nader got 2.3
  million votes, neither Bush nor Gore received 50% of the votes, there was a
  4 Million vote difference between Bush Sr. and Clinton, and 19 Million votes
  were cast for Perot, again, neither candidate got a majority of the votes.

  A majority is required in the Electoral College, this is why that 270 number
  is so important, if nobody gets 270 votes, it is up to House of
  Representatives to determine the president. If this happens, each state gets
  one vote, that vote is determined by a quorum of the representatives of each
  state. The Senate picks the VP. In all instances a majority of all votes
  cast is required.

    _____