>So it'd be okay to make eating pork illegal, and enforce that when
>necessary, so long as no one's religion requires the eating of pork?

Well of course, if no one is affected by that law, then why would they care.  I'm sure there are alot of blue laws here that are weird and prolly dumb, but I only know of only 1 or 2 of them because they dont really affect met.  out of sight out of mind.

It will be OK in the sense that, hey, if most of the people here feel that strongly about it, then you would expect things to turn out that way.  not saying that it is morally right or wrong.

>So, you are saying that if there is a valid reason to take offense,
>others should change behavior.  Who decides whether it is reasonable to
>take offense?  Is it only if the majority finds it offensive, or if a
>minority group (or, for that matter, one person) finds it offensive?

The statement I made about having to switch from palindrome handles is a special case, because #1, I feel like you guys are my buddies, and wouldn't mind doing certain things to help out or make u feel more comfortable.  I'm just like that (sometimes), and only speak for myself in that situation.  In this special case, if I find that the person's offense is sincere and reasonable........................................

but what is reasonable? what is sincere?  Who decides what is offensive?  How about common sense?  What's common sense?!  nothing is objective everything is subjectie!  what's this whats whats whats that oh no I can't use common sense anymore I've gone crosseyed.

That last paragraph was an answer to your question about what offensiveness is.  I dunno how else to answer it!  :\