I think you should reread the thread.  I think you may be confusing me with
others.

The fact that you've spent several pages defending your political stance
indicates to me that you've taken either my comments out of context or
applied others comments to me.  It also seems to me that you consider this
Post article politically motivated and are this assuming that I'm
"defending" a political view in some way.  I do not consider the article
politically motivated at all.  I'm not defending a political viewpoint in
determining my view of the article's purpose.

In short I've never considered this particular argument politically
motivated at all.  However the care with which you defend your political
beliefs below seems to indicate that you did (and do).

I've personally never made a judgment about you or your political standing.
I don't have a problem with you calling yourself whatever you wish to be
called.  I'm pleased that you're secure enough in your beliefs to actually
make a stand on issues (damn few Americans are).

Be very clear on this Sam: I would level the same exact criticism on
anybody, left or right, top or bottom that made the same assertions,
attempted for force-feed me a label I didn't feel fit or implied the
negative things you've implied.  My personal opinion of your views (which
doesn't matter) is that you're a conservative moderate (or moderate
conservative if you like).  You seem to support the Bush administration and
the war rather stridently, but seem more liberally-minded on other topics.
This may be wrong since I only know you through this list.

You, however, do have a very clear tendency to label others out of hand.

Again let's reread the thread: any outright hostility, I believe, came from
you.  Until then it was friendly (if heated), politic-free discussion about
slang and interpretation of an article (an article, I repeat, that I didn't
find political in any way).  Long before I decided to question your personal
discussion style you implied clearly that I lacked reading comprehension,
had some group-based agenda (the "your kind" comment), was arguing like a
child and others.

The negativity, or we might say the "unconstructive negativity" (nearly
always through passive-aggressive implication), was all yours.  This is what
I meant that you argue destructively.  You ascribe hidden, unspoken agendas
to those you're discussing things with and deal with them based on those
ascriptions.

Be whomever you want to be Sam and I'll take your word on it, but allow me
the same courtesy.

Jim Davis

  _____