At 13:14 8/18/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> > Poor judgement on the internet isn't life threatening.
>
>Not in this context... there are people who give out too much personal
>info to the wrong people and end up in life-threatening situations as
>a result... not necessarily the fault of the internet per-se, but the
>net ends up being the medium that facilitates it.

Hmm.  Good point.  I did read that someone once actually went to South
Africa to hand them money.  The scam went a bit too far and they kidnapped
the victim for ransom money.  But at the same token, it's not unreasonable
to assume that at least 1 or 2 kids die every year from a fatal pencil
injury.  Pencil license anyone?

I'm ah wholly against the idea of an Internet license.  There is nothing
that states that you have to be competent to use a computer.  More over if
it is a de-centralized medium like the Internet, this is the only way the
government can really control the content.  There is probably someone with
very little computer knowledge producing some kind of underground
newsletter on counter-culture effects of Punk Rock in LA.  And while his
lack of computer skills may or may not be contributing to the proliferation
of a virus, his work does add more to the knowledge/garbage pool of
information.

I'm against the government having another way to track you and police
us.  I'm also against a lot of things that creates or pronounces classism......

except money.