> 1.) Whose soil are you on (e.g., Palestinian or Israeli)?

good point

> 2.) Who is a soldier?  If the Marines are in Iraq for security and
> rebuilding purposes are they soldiers or policemen?

another good point. Or, as I asked earlier, what about civilian
contractors driving military supply trucks?

> What if we said "terrorism" was any external attack meant to control a
> group or population?

external? As in non-Iraqi? How would you know? I'd disagree with this
as it would make the IRA bombs in pubs not terrorism. I think my
soldier/civilian dichotomy, while not perfest, is better.

> So, for example, if American soldiers are kidnapped and beheaded  in
> an effort to terrorize the American public to pull out of Iraq, that's
> terrorism even though the attack is against a US
> soldier

So wait, if you shoot a soldier, that's a military action and if you
behead him that is terrorism? It may not meet international standards
for the treatment of prisoners of war :) but I don't think I agree
with that.

Dana