I don't think anyone here is upset with you because you misunderstood
someone and became upset.  They're upset with you because you took it
out on someone whose only crime was to try to be funny.  You've made
yourself look worse by trying to rationalize this rather than simply
apologizing (unless I missed the part of the thread when you did).

It is unfortunate that you were mislead by what someone said.  I suspect
that if you'd brought that up in a separate post, many people would have
been more sympathetic.  I know I would.

Everyone has flaws, and everyone has bad days.  The best of us lash out
at inappropriate times.  This is why we have apology and forgiveness.

In short (too late!) I don't fault you for being upset.  I just think
that your behavior was rude, and that your expectation that we just take
it is inconsiderate.

--Ben