He came into office in June 1999 with a clear vision
for "transformation" and talked passionately about the
army's need to adjust from thinking about traditional
enemies to what he called "complicators", including
both terrorists and the then little-known phrase
"weapons of mass destruction". Gen Shinseki might thus
have relished the arrival of a Republican team equally
committed to change.

Unfortunately, the two sides had very different ideas
about what the words meant. The general wanted a new
kind of army, one that could combine the adaptability
of light infantry and the power of heavily mechanised
forces. His new bosses had other ideas. "They had
pre-decided what transformation meant," said one
Pentagon source. "It meant more from space, more from
air and it didn't involve the army much. That was the
essence of the conflict."

This erupted over the Crusader mobile artillery
system, which Mr Rumsfeld has scrapped. Gen Shinseki
told Congress a year ago it would have saved lives
during Operation Anaconda in Afghanistan. By then he
had already been turned into a lame duck ("castrated",
according to the same Pentagon source) by the
apparently unprecedented Rumsfeld decision to announce
his successor 18 months in advance.

He seems to have been caught in a classic bind:
distrusted by his subordinates for being too radical
and by his bosses for being too conservative.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,925140,00.html