I was in a meeting so I missed a lot of these posts so I'd like to
respond to themes rather than specific points for there are far too many
to list.  Religion, in and of itself is not bad.  Even those of you that
don't believe in any form of God concede that point.  A visiting priest
to my church, just a few weeks ago, talked on this very issue and
addressed a lot of these concerns.  How people interpret the Bible,
Koran, whatever, gives you a view into that persons soul.  It tells you
about them not the books that they read or the religion that they
subscribe to.  How a person views the world, tells you about them, not
how the world really is.  I have a positive outlook on things because
that's my nature.  I see the good in people before I notice the bad
because I have a predisposition to do so.  Others have the opposite.  I
would be considered an optimist while others who relish in the
negativity in life are pessimists.  The glass is half full versus half
empty.  Read through the posts that individuals, on a consistent basis,
post up here and you will see a pattern.  There are pessimists and
optimists and the respective people defending that.  So when you ask me
how can I say that with any certainty, I say that because I have no
reason to think otherwise.  I don't believe that they are violent people
or would advocate violence.  They may not be tolerant, but that does not
mean that they will, as a matter of course, become violent.  Of course,
anything is possible.  But I deal more in probabilities rather than
possibilities.  Those of you who choose science over faith should agree
with that.

I've read several posts referring to religious zealots and how crazy and
mind numbed they are.  Is that your only experience with people who
practice their faith?  Have you no examples of people who believe in
whatever God that they believe in but are good, decent, honest people?
Better yet, aren't those people more prominent than the zealots that you
hold up as examples of the religious?  I can count on one hand the
people that I have met like Falwell or Robertson but there aren't enough
digits on this list that can account for the good and decent people that
I have come across.  I find it to be very disingenuous to only show the
one aspect (conveniently supporting your beliefs) and not to be honest
and weigh that against the bigger picture.

I used to use science as a way to argue against God and religion because
I once subscribed to that belief.  I thought that I had to discount the
existence of God in order to be considered a "critical thinker" until I
had a conversation with the most critical thinker that I ever met..my
old man (smart man.  don't know what happened to me though)  He put
forth this argument to me:

If you believe that the laws of physics are true, then you must believe
in the existence of God.  One of the laws of physics is that an object
at rest will stay at rest unless acted upon by some external force.  In
order for the universe to exist, something had to set it in motion.  If
it was the big bang, then something made it go bang.  No matter how far
you trace it back, you eventually have to get to the point where the
universe was, at one point, not in motion.  Something had to put the
universe in motion and that, in my opinion, is God.  Whether you want to
accept this or not is up to you but it's the best argument that I could
put forth that uses logic rather than "just because."

Michael Corrigan