Yes, you are VERY correct.  The gas models of those cars were quite
quick.  In fact, they were used a lot on the local racetrack (yes I am a
car racing fiend) in the 4 cylinder class.  They cleaned house every
Saturday night.  GTI's were pretty solid, could take a real beating, and
were fast fast fast.

The doors were a blast on mine.  I had the opposite problem though, my
passenger door would not open, so everyone had to pile in the driver's
door.  That is, when I could convince ppl to actually ride in the death trap.

I miss those days sometimes.