Heh. I read The Plague while stranded overnight in an airport because
of a storm grounding all planes. There was an odd symmetry to it.
Obviously people weren't dying in the airport, but the idea of people
being unexpectedly trapped together.

There was a foreign couple, from Switzerland I believe, that barely
spoke English and weren't terribly familiar with our payphones and
dialing long distance here. So I got the number for their relatives at
their destination and dialed it up on my calling card. I didn't see
them again until the morning, but it looked like they got sorted out
and were getting out fine.

I very much thought of Sartre as a Humanist while reading The Plague.

-Kevin