Again, your argument is against the conviction for murder, NOT the sentence
of death. When in the penalty phase, you can't say "well, i'm not sure I
want to kill him because well, the case was only circumstantial"

If the case was circumstantial, and you aren't sure about it, you never
should of convicted him in the first place!!!!! Thats what I mean by the two
phases have to almost completely separate.