I agree with that, and some parents especially don't want to admit that their
child has any kind of "mental issues"- too much social stigma, even today. My
mother was a psychologist for years and she didn't see it. 25-30 years ago this
was not a commonly diagnosed problem, I think. I'm 35, I just don't remember
kids being on ritalin when I was young.

I will say in my mother's defense that my father and one brother are bi-polar
and have had years of struggles with that disorder, so my relatively mild
issues were never really a focus. Compared to my brother's and father's issues,
I feel downright lucky.

I used to practice meditation regularly and I found that helped a lot. I've
gotten out of the habit, but this conversation has motivated me to get back
into it. For anyone looking at meditation as a means of therapy, check out this
book, The Three Pillars of Zen:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0385260938/103-2730051-8629434

You don't have to be a Buddhist or believe in Buddhist doctrine (though one
might say the term itself is an oxymoron), and the book is as much a practical
guide to meditation as anything else. I just found it helped to clear my head
of the jumble. It takes time and committment, though, unlike pills.