I wonder whether there are certain fields that attract people with these
symptoms. Sitting in front of the computer all day with the opportunity to
browse the Web whenver my mind starts to wander definitely helps me get through
the day. I can spend a few minutes just loking at some random thing and then
re-focus on my work. I spent close to a year in law school before I realized I
could never sit in a library all day and read cases for a living.

As to Dana's speculation about why it only occurs in this country, I would
suggest that the only difference between Americans and everyone else is that we
like to classify everything in medical terms. It is part of the American desire
to understand the world around us. I think it comes in part from being a
culturally young society where there are no "traditional" explanations and
therefore no bias against research into things that would be dismissed in other
societies.

I do think, though, that Eastern cultures (especially Chinese) have recognized
conditions that Western (especially American) medicine is now classifying.
Herbal medicines and acupuncture are good examples. Hence my thoughts about
practicing meditation, which specifically aims to calm and clear the mind.