G wrote:
> At this point, betting against the Pats would be akin to lunacy.
>
> They soundly destroyed the only team that's beaten them in the last 33 games
> (the Dolphin fluke not withstanding).
>
> Here is what scares me about the Pats dynasty, and yes, its a dynasty: It's
> built upon a dominant system, not the fleeting stardom of a few marquee
> players.  Look at the 49ers and Cowboys, the most recent dynasties. When the
> players left or got too old, the dynasties crumbled. With the Pats, it
> doesn't seem to matter who they plug in....they still win.
>
> Until someone finds a way to consistently break down the Patriots system,
> not its players, the mayhem will continue. Even if Terrell Owens plays in
> the SB, I'm almost positive Bellidick will devise a way to stop him.....he
> always does.

I agree with you on all points.  It doesn't mean that the Pats are a
lock, but just given the statistical data it would be very reckless to
pick against the Pats.  I knew Cohwer would wilt under the pressure of
an AFC game.  Any coach that learned the ropes under Marty is doomed to
fail.

If you really think about it, it makes some sense why the Pats are so
good in the big games.  To really give yourself a better chance to win
you need to adjust your game strategy against your opponent unless the
team is really lucky enough to get a very favorable match up.  IE
Falcons run offense vs Rams run defense.  But this is actually counter
productive because the whole year you play a certain way and it is what
the team does best.  Except the Pats.  They are just as likely to throw
one game as they are to try to grind out the tough yards.  They will
play 3-4 with just 7 in the box one game and might play 4-3 with 8 in
the box the next.  They are used to switching up styles which is a huge
advantage come playoff time.  Their normal mode of operation is to
expect a different game plan each week.

I'm happy for the Pats.  I like to see dynatasies because I like too see
greatness.  Like the Yankees.  I like the fact that this is a story; the
Pats are the heroes on an epic quests.  The foe may change but the heros
are the same.  Like the Yankees.

--
2004 - The year $184M couldn't buy a pennant.

Ron Artest: Extremely flawed, very accidental, semi-martyr