I lived in the DC area for a long time so I am familiar with the
neighborhoods. Drove a cab there for years.

But I guess what I am asking is, how segregated is your life? Not how
bad are the neighborhoods -- though I actually don't consider Glenmont
all that horrible -- but are you actually in a place where you can say
you know what it is to be black in the US?

Cause let me tell you, I hung around with black guys when I was
driving a cab. Five years or more with guys who mostly were black.
Joked with them, smoked with them and got bored with them, listened to
their stories and got to know a few of them pretty damn well. I have
lived in ALL  black neighborhoods, some terrible, some pretty good.
And I *still* don't know much and maybe not a damn thing. Cause at the
end of the day when I went home I was white. Do you have any idea what
I am saying?

Now inner city schools -- to be honest I have spent maybe a year on
this and it was in Jacksonville, so maybe it was Florida, but I have
had some long talks with my friend in Cinncinnati who has a biracial
daughter and she too thinks that they're mainly seen as warehouses
before the kids go to jail. You learn to walk in a line and to shut
up. This doesn't help you much in college.

::sigh::: I'll shut up now
Dana