I have been in the process of setting up my own services at home, here is my
current state of affairs.

Connectivity

I would not bother with a T1 unless you lack cable/DSL as options. I have TW
Roadrunner cable, 4 MB down/384-512 up, 5 static IPs. Way cheaper than  a
T1, you don't have to sign a long-term contract, and installation is faster
than T1 service.

Security

You must have a firewall if you plan to host anything that you would be
upset about/in trouble over if it got hacked. I use m0n0wall software on an
embedded Soekris engineering device that has WAN, LAN, and DMZ ports. Take
the time to study firewall rules and set it up correctly.

DNS

I don't host my own DNS. TW hosts one domain for me. I have my other domains
registered with Yahoo! and they maintain the DNS for me. Awesome!

Special note on DNS and email - If you host your own email server, you will
need to make sure that your DNS entry for your mail server is properly
configured. Many mail servers will not accept mail from a sending host that
can't be verified by reverse DNS. And you can't have any other DNS entries
on your mail server IP address, so you'll need to have multiple static IPs.

Email

I use a mail server called XMail. It is freeware POP3 only, open-source, and
cross platform. I run it on Windows 2000. There are lots of free plugins for
it to handle virus scanning (essential on a mail server), spam blocking
(including integration with SpamAssassin), and other functions. You can
layer webmail solutions on top of it, and if you run it on *nix you can hook
it up to Courier-IMAP for Web folder support.

Server Hardware

It all depends on your price point.  I got a tower PC with a good power
supply, stable MSI mobo, Athlon64 2800+, 1 GB RAM, and dual 80 GB SATA HDD
in RAID 1. That cost me under $800.

Backup

I don't mess with tape, I go with a Maxtor OneTouch external drive, and I
make periodic DVD burns of data.