Sam

Considering that you went from "angry about the potato famine" to
"anti-Semite" in the blink of an eye I don't know what to make of your
assertion that Heidegger was a Nazi. If so I am not aware of it, but I
don't know squat about the man. If anyone else knows I'd appreciate a
rational voice on this. Otherwise I guess I'll have to look it up. But
it's a side issue.

I don't believe you have read the book. It was not a defense of
Eichmann. It concluded that he deserved to be put to death..

Along the way it expressed some very complex thoughts about the
capacity of most people for evil. It is this that it is best known for
and this, I think, that Churchill was referring to when he called the
people in the twin towers Eichmanns. His argument actually derives in
a straight line from Socrates and the hemlock and although I disagre
with it and with the language in which it is presented,  is pretty
respectable in its logic.

Nor am I in any way shape or form defending Eichmann or anyone else
that commits mass murder. I resent the allegation that I would want to
and frankly that thought makes me doubt your sanity. Get this
straight. If  I say a post may upset you this is not an invitation to
read it. If you must read it anyway think before you call me vile
things. Try to stay connected to reality, and preferably leave me out
of your thoughts.

Thank you.

Dana