> Dana wrote:
> Oh well... If we are going ouside the US, yes, Paris for one has a
> very complete metro system.

:knock, knock: yeah, it's pretty safe, but I had 1 scary moment though:

1.) My wife and I were standing on a platform (Michel-ange) all alone
when a guy shows up in camos with no insignia wearing a sidearm.  He
looks all around the platform and then leaves.  We thought he was some
type of cop just checking for winos or something since he didn't give
us a second look.

About 30 seconds later he comes back, but this time with about 10
other similarly dressed gentlemen who he directs to fan out on the
platform and then he unsnaps his sidearm.  All the while he never says
a word to us and we're the only other people in the station.  In fact
he completely ignores us.

At this point my wife and briefly discuss asking him what's going on,
but we can hear the train coming and we see all of the dudes staring
intently up the tracks.  Well, we decided it was time to get the hell
out of there so we left at almost a run.  Outside were 3 paddy wagons
with more guys but we kept going, grabbed a cab, and headed back to
our hotel north of there.

We never heard anything on the news.