> John wrote:
> My sons pinewood derby was last night. It was our first derby, so I did 99%
> of the work on the car because he's only six and you know how that goes.

That's like science fairs - I saw an exhibit where supposedly the kid
built a working replica of a nuclear power plant complete with power
output Excel charts and graphs.  Um, I doubt it.

Not being a father maybe I don't  get it, but I suspect that there's
an Arms race here: the parents were supposed to help answer questions,
but now the parents do everything and maybe show the kids something
along the way.  In this way it's no different than science class or
the museum.

I think they should make the kids build their own cars during
dedicated sessions where they can submit their questions to a group of
Dads who equally help each kid.  If necessary, exempt the actual kid's
Dad during his questions to keep the focus on the kids.

The way it is, weak kids with a good helper get rewarded while strong
kids with little or no help are penalized.

Maybe this is one of the reasons American kids suck at science and
engineering compared to the rest of the world.