Doctors disagree with your opinion.

http://codeblueblog.blogs.com/codeblueblog/2005/03/csi_medblogs_co.html

CSI MEDBLOGS: CODEBLUEBLOG ANALYZES TERRI SCHIAVO'S CT OF THE BRAIN

THIS BRAIN IS NOT THAT BAD

Thanks to reader "primer" I've been directed to the University of
Miami Ethics program website where they posted this image from a CT
scan of Terri Schiavo's brain in 1996. The sentence attached to the
link for this scan on the site says:

CT scan of Ms. Schiavo's brain, showing extensive cortical regions
filled with spinal fluid.

If you go to this link you can see the scan in a larger reproduction.

A COURT OF MEDICAL LIGHTWEIGHTS WEIGH IN ON TERRI'S CT.

The Second District's first opinion in this case explained:

Since 1990, Theresa has lived in nursing homes with constant care. She
is fed and hydrated by tubes. The staff changes her diapers regularly.
She has had numerous health problems, but none have been life
threatening.

Over the span of this last decade, Theresa's brain has deteriorated
because of the lack of oxygen it suffered at the time of the heart
attack. By mid 1996, the CAT scans of her brain showed a severely
abnormal structure. At this point, much of her cerebral cortex is
simply gone and has been replaced by cerebral spinal fluid. Medicine
cannot cure this condition. Unless an act of God, a true miracle, were
to recreate her brain, Theresa will always remain in an unconscious,
reflexive state, totally dependent upon others to feed her and care
for her most private needs.

First, I contest the theory that Terri's brain actively continues to
degenerate as implied by the above statement. How could they gage
serial brain degeneration without serial follow-up? And by what
mechanism would her brain CONTINUE to atrophy? Second, Terri's
cerebral cortex has not been replaced by fluid. That is inaccurate.
The cortex is thinned and the sulci are enlarged. There is a
difference.

Third, and most importantly, given the amount of atrophy on this image
I disagree with the court's inadequately considered conclusion.

My Grandmother's Brain -- OK -- But Would I Stop Feeding My Grandmother?

First of all, the University of Miami's appellation for this scan is
inaccurate. "Cortical regions" are not and can not be filled with
spinal fluid. The sulci (spaces between cortical ribbons) are enlarged
secondary to cortical atrophy and these sulci are filled with
cerbrospinal fluid.

The most alarming thing about this image, however, is that there
certainly is cortex left. Granted, it is severely thinned, especially
for Terri's age, but I would be nonplussed if you told me that this
was a 75 year old female who was somewhat senile but fully functional,
and I defy a radiologist anywhere to contest that.

I HAVE SEEN MANY WALKING, TALKING, FAIRLY COHERENT PEOPLE WITH WORSE
CEREBRAL/CORTICAL ATROPHY. THEREFORE, THIS IS IN NO WAY PRIMA FACIE
EVIDENCE THAT TERRI SCHIAVO'S MENTAL ABILITIES OR/OR CAPABILITIES ARE
COMPLETELY ERADICATED. I CANNOT BELIEVE SUCH TESTIMONY HAS BEEN GIVEN
ON THE BASIS OF THIS SCAN.

The worrisome, no alarming thing, for me, was that I heard a
bioethicist and several important figures on the major media describe
Terri's brain as MUCH WORSE. One "expert" said that she had a "bag of
water" in her head. Several experts described her as a "brain stem
preparation"

These statements are wholly inaccurate. This is an atrophied brain,
yes, but there is cortex remaining, and where there's cortex (?life)
there's hope.

If you starve this woman to death it would be, in my professional and
experienced medical opinion, the equivalent of starving to death a
75-85 year old person. I would take that to the witness stand.

All That Glitters is a SHUNT

Next mystery: Why is there a shunt in Terri's ventricle? This CT image
is "flipped" (i.e. the CT scan is mirror-image backwards which is just
an inconsequential error made when scanning the image into the
computer), so the right side is LEFT and vice versa. However, everyone
can see, easily, the ovoid white object sitting in the front of the
big black butterfly in the center of Terri's brain, correct?

That  shining object is the tip of a shunt.  A shunt is a tube
inserted into the brain to reduce pressure caused by build-up of
cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the brain. That big black butterfly in
the middle of Terri's brain is her ventricular system, which holds the
CSF and in Terri's case, it is enlarged (dilated).

Now...why was Terri being shunted in 1996? First, if Terri's brain
damage was due to oxygen deprivation, her enlarged ventricles would be
by a passive mechanism -- which is not amenable to shunting -- not by
obstruction of the egress of CSF. To me, the presence of a shunt
indicates obstruction to the flow of CSF that needs to be
circumvented. Obstruction to flow is hard to postulate given the
mechanism of Terri's brain injury (oxygen deprivation).

It would NOT be hard to postulate, however, if she had BLOOD in her
head at some point in the past. So did she? Was there a history of
trauma? I would like to see the BONE SCAN taken of Terri that
purportedly showed evidence of traumatic type osseous uptake!

It is quite unusual to see high-pressure hydrocephalus when the
mechanism of brain injury was INFARCTION; and, more so six years after
the event.

So

IS THIS REALLY TERRI'S CT?

IF it is then her atrophy is SEVERE, BUT not as bad as has been
implicated by the press and the courts

IF it is then why did she have hydrocephalus six years after her non
traumatic  infarction

IF it is... why was she shunted...AND IS SHE STILL shunted? IF not,
why was the shunt removed?

IF it is, why does the Second District Court NOT mention Terri's
hydrocephalus in it's dissertation on Terri's woeful cerebral
condition??

IF Terri DOES have hydrocephalus from ventricle blockage, was there
trauma that caused bleeding that lead to hydrocephalus on the basis of
a blood clot obstructing ventricular outflow?

IF so, what was that trauma?

IF Terri had hydrocephalus in 1996, she may still have hydrocephalus
now; some patients with hydrocephalus respond to shunting with
increased mental functioning!

IF THIS IS NOT TERRI'S CT THEN WHERE IS HER CT?

Based on this evidence Terri Schiavo should have a CT scan repeated.
She should also have an MRI and a PET scan to gage the severity of her
brain dysfunction.

IF THIS IS TERRI'S CT OF THE BRAIN, SOMETHING MAY BE VERY WRONG

Posted by Doctor CBB on March 21, 2005 at 04:49 PM | Permalink

Dana