Gruss

Did you actually read any of the links in that post? Go take a look at
the LeanLeft and JustAMinute blogs in particular. The Schiavo case is
not about economics. But ok, let's go there for a minute. The fallacy
in your thinking is that you assume that all government spending is
static and unchanging. That nobody would ever cut EPA enforcement in
order to fund public relations campaigns. I'm merely saying that
instead of buying Halliburton execs a junket to some spa, we *could*
increase funding for hospitals or even, heaven forbid, research.

But let me tell you a dirty little secret -- you ask if you should pay
for Terry Shiavo. Actually, in her case the question is irrelevant, as
money was available for her medical bills; her guardian merely chose
to spend it on legal bills instead.
But let me explain something to you. It isn't the Terri Schiavos who
are expensive. It's the people who unquestionably *do* have brain
function. I was thinking after my last post, hmm, I'm probably
actually in the six figures for the year, what with all the CAT cans
and ER visits and EKGs.

Ah but I can benefit, you cry. Yes, I did, and there is still
significant doubt that Terri Schiavo would have benefited too. Before
you start again with the hundreds of doctors and the thousands of
judges, let me share with you that I just took a good hard look at the
original judgement that found that she was PVS and guess what? It's
highly unclear whether the doctors who said she was were ever even in
a room with her. There is a reference to the one Larry saying she
squeezed his fingers. Hmm. I think I'd rather have a quack that
examines me as my doctor than two that say there is no point.

And I repeat, it was ONE judge and a whole bunch mor that said the
ruling was legal. Remember that legal doesn't mean fair. Or right.
Just legal.

Dana