I think diet/nutrition trends are pretty cyclical. The whole "carbs
are bad for you" is nothing new. I just saw an article talking about
some diet advice from ancient times that said as much.

The reality is, though - that many cultures live quite happily and
healthily on a higher carb diet. Think of some of the Asian cultures
and the use of white rice. The difference is in portion control, the
stuff eaten with the carbs, and activitie levels. Americans are
slothful when it comes to exercise. We don't _need_ a high energy food
source like carbs. We need a slow energy food source to match our slow
energy lifestyle.

That being said, carbs really affect some people more than others. I
eat a pretty high carb diet - but it's also high fiber. I don't eat
any red meat - so the whole Atkins thing would never fly with me. But,
I do eat a lot of beans and veggies and nuts and whole grains. I also
walk, swim, or bike pretty much every day. The last pair of jeans I
bought were a 7/8 - smaller than before I had a kid. My BMI is 21.9 -
on the lower middle side of normal. So, it's working for me. That's
not to say I couldn't lose a few pounds. But, I'd say that I'm at a
healthy weight.