I've got a guess on that:

Because many people that are reaching the age where they are beginning to
engage in political discourse are either:
1) Children of the protest era or
2) Children of parents of the protest era.

Keep in mind though that many of these people had good reason to protest,
and thus carry a rather strong distrust of what the government tells them.
The deception of the late 60's and early 70's era government is a well
documented disgrace.

Oh, and in no way would I include "Korea" in your list of successful US
endeavors....