I agree with your position, however, according to the memo obtained by
Greg Palast, posted above, he DID know it.

It's a bit long and dry, but it says that the evidence is being
created to justify the invasion. Before the invasion. This is not
really news to anyone who has read Bob Woodward's book, but there it
is on paper, attributed to a named source in the British civil
service.

Dana