Pretty much - although we bought the Malibu when we had our first kid (we
never owned a car together before that).

But the impulse is similar.  Our car is now 7 years old and we're just
starting to see some sizable maintenance bills.  Last year we spent $500 to
get a power-steering pump replaced and $300 to replace the alternator and
battery.  Soon we'll have to spend in the range of $700 to get a manifold
gasket replaced.

So far nothing huge (nasty expenses, to be sure, but nothing like the cost
of new car).  But it's definitely put the bug in her ear.

She sees her friends with the new DVD minivans and thinks how nice that
would be on the trips to her mother's.  Then she feels guilty about the
mileage and thinks "hybrid".

All told the best thing to do is just keep our current car for another few
years at least.  ;^)

Jim Davis