The Hybrids have a very efficient gas motor in them and then an electric to
run on based on whatever conditions when it is applicable. Seems like some
people experience mpg ratings they do not expect after getting one and
perhaps it has to do with driving conditions they are using/in causing more
use of the gas motor than the electric. If that were the case I could see
how people would think that the technology is lacking. Also with some of
that being the case I can see how efficient gas motors need to become more
of a norm in mass production regardless of if in a hybrid vehicle or not.