On 5/11/05, Aaron Rouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The Hybrids have a very efficient gas motor in them and then an electric to
> run on based on whatever conditions when it is applicable. Seems like some
> people experience mpg ratings they do not expect after getting one and
> perhaps it has to do with driving conditions they are using/in causing more
> use of the gas motor than the electric. If that were the case I could see
> how people would think that the technology is lacking. Also with some of
> that being the case I can see how efficient gas motors need to become more
> of a norm in mass production regardless of if in a hybrid vehicle or not.

I think it's pretty well established that the mileage varies wildly
based on driving conditions and habits.  I don't have too much
sympathy for someone who buys one today and complains about the
mileage they get.  Someone who bought one just off the line might have
more room to complain, but they *did* know they were buying a first
generation product.

I'm just very interested and excited about the future of thses
technologies, and of other effecient fuel engines which consume any
type of fuel, alternative or otherwise.  I've always said that if I
ever got out of programming and choose another profession I would
consider going back to school to find work developing alternative
energy technologies.  I'd love to build a mass backyard produced
personal windmill system (your neighbors would love you) or more
effecient solar collectors, or whatever...

-Cameron

--
Cameron Childress
Sumo Consulting Inc