Just sticking my nose in... but I think "troll" is harsh in this instance.

I can empathize with the love of a good argument.  Somebody may be defending
their convictions, attempting to defend a contrary position (a valuable
exercise which isn't done nearly enough I think) or in fact just playing
devil's advocate.

I think that all of these are valuable.  At the same time I think a good
argument demands respect amongst the participants.  Personal attacks outside
the arena, name-calling, etc all show a marked lack of respect and taint the
quality of the argument.

On the other hand a troll's purpose is twofold: to eliminate the possibility
of on-topic or intelligent discussion and to continue the off-topic
discussion as long as possible - preferably while pissing off as many people
as possible.  They will immediately attack, change sides, make ridiculous
assertions, etc.  Most importantly they KNOW their trolling.

(Of course... if you want to force the issue you might say that Sam is a
very bad troll.  But by the same token you can say he's a very bad
Podiatrist since to my knowledge he's not trying to be either.)

Now, for what it's worth, I've not seen (according to my definition) any
trolls on this list (well... at least for a while).  I've seen many of us
(myself included) be royal assholes when pressed... but no trolls.  ;^)

Jim Davis