From: Michael T. Tangorre [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 9:58 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: Here's a depressing little article

> From: SStewart [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> The DC area is nuts, and Northern Virginia is the worst. I
> have a three bedroom 30 year old two level condo (piggyback
> end unit) that's about three miles from the subway and 395
> and the Capitol Beltway. I bough a year and a half ago for
> $217K, Fairfax County tax appraisal came in last year at
> $245K. An interior unit in the same neighborhood went for $289K.
>
> I'm expecting to sell for around $325K with some interior remodeling.
> Having said that in order to buy a decent house (four
> bedrooms with a real yard) I'll have to move about thirty
> miles southwest (taking into account commute) and spend at
> least $300K for a house.
>
> We need to buy within the next year before the prices become
> unaffordable farther out.

The Montgomery County MD prices are just as bad. Right now my wife and I pay
more in rent than we would on a mortgage for a $350,000 home... the problem
is that in our area you can't find a $350,000 home in an OK neighborhood....
it's not uncommon for people to scoop up the lower priced properties and
demolish the current structure and build a fortress. Besides pissing away
rent, renting is not such a bad deal at this juncture... we have covered
parking, a gym, a pool, business center, and no maintenance worries... I
think I'd rather own a home though and not share walls.