I probably could have stated my case more elegantly as well. It just
always gets my goat when people tell me I "have to" to do something or
I am "stupid".

My point is that there are a LOT of programming jobs that have nothing
to do with .net or Java. And the skill sets are not as available as
they are for Java and .net (where every newbie programmer lists one or
the other on their resume.) Therefore, it has been easy for me to find
a job whenever I have needed one. My resume lists Java, but not .net.
I don't have enough seat time in .net to list it yet. (Home practice
doesn't count).

Personally, I don't like most of the work being done in .net, nor in
Java. I wouldn't want to sit in my chair and develop in either for any
significant part of my day. Been there. Done that. Didn't like it.
Moved on.

While on the philosphy of work, I personally don't like to work as a
<fill-in-the-language> programmer on a large programming staff. I much
prefer working for a small company that has programming needs.  This
lets me work more as a technologist and technical advisor than as a
line coder. The jobs seem more stable, and there is a great feeling of
being part of the team rather than a plug-and-play component
replacable by a cheaper version next year.

Just my 2 cents.

Jerry Johnson
Technologist