Even now, four months later the dog still whines and barks when he goes into
his crate, it takes him about 5-10 minutes most nights before he settles
down.

He does know that he is supposed to go in. Like if we are both making
motions like we are leaving, he will go and get in the crate, and will go
when told, but if there are people in the house, he doesn't want to be in
the crate.