Ben,

Before I was on an insulin pump, I was on a combo of humalog and
Lantis. It worked but I disliked (hated) the number of needles I had
to take daily. The pump is easier - just the equivalent of a needle
every 3 days. You still have to closely monitor your glucose levels (I
do mine about 6 to 7 times per day), but that may change in the near
future. The first generation of continuous glucose monitoring systems
are going to be coming out very soon. Medtronic for instance plans to
release one that is tied into an insulin pump, and is supposed to be
able to actively adjust the insulin basil rate depending on the
measured glucose levels.

larry