> But getting back to Jerry, lacking persdonal experience with this all
> I can say is that from what I can see from friends who do is that
> compliance alllows a very normal life, whereas trying to tough it out
> is a mistake.

I'm currently on a very regular diet.  I eat basically the same thing
for breakfast and lunch every week day, and I'm careful about portions
at supper and before bed.  But this doesn't mean that I can't
occasionally have something considered "outside" my diet.

An original glazed Krispy Kreme has 22g of carbohydrate.  I normally eat
45 for breakfast.  So, if I ditch half the carbs from my normal
breakfast, make sure I get something substantial with my morning protien
in first, and take my insulin before I start on the donut, I'm okay --
once in a while.  This does cause my blood sugar to spike, but not
catastrophically.

A few weeks ago, I really really wanted candy.  I took half the bread
off my sandwitch at lunch, forwent the chips, and ate a measured amount
of candy slowly over a couple of hours.

Last Monday, I went to a friend's place and had dinner.  It was
significantly larger than what I typically eat.  I upped my dosage of
insulin to what I thought would cover it (based on a decade of practice)
and was sure to check my blood sugar before bed and the next morning.

Consistency in diet with diabetes is important because it lets you set a
baseline and figure out how your body reacts to different foods, how
much insulin you need, etc.  It also means that you're not constantly
having to think, calculate, and guess about your medication.  But being
occasionally, carefully inconsistent is OK.

Wow.  That was pretty long winded.  Um...  Sorry?

--Ben