Treason is a very specific crime defined in our Constitution, Article III,
Section 3:

"Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against
them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person
shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the
same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court."

This is a very broadly worded offense, but it is hardly ever invoked. If the
American Taliban isn't going to be charged with treason, the Karl Rove
certainly isn't.