another trick to use is to import style sheets that have CSS
incompatible with older browsers, as in:

     @import "/css/CSS-PstylesheetName.css";

/* other css goes in here */

Since older browsers do not handle the import declaration, they ignore it.

Also you may want to get a couple of good books on the topic, Jeff
Zeldman's Designing With Web Standards is very good, and Eric Meyer on
CSS is a must have.

larry