Also it looks like the guy did have a reason to avoid the police.
Apparently he was in Britain on an expired visa,

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4713753.stm.
--
The Brazilian man shot dead by police who mistook him for a suicide
bomber in south London had been in Britain on an out-of-date visa,

Jean Charles de Menezes, 27, may have run from police because of his
visa situation, BBC correspondents say.

The electrician had come to the UK on a student visa, which allows
people to work for a small number of hours.

Relatives of Mr Menezes deny his visa had expired and are considering
suing over the Stockwell Tube shooting.