I agree that they're well worth looking at... but I still find the various
"column" layouts using CSS obtuse and overly wordy.  It's an interesting
exercise to sit down and try it, but practically I find them pretty useless.

A single table in a layout to do this presents less than a tenth of the code
and is much more compatible.  I wish it wasn't, but it is.

I'm all for CSS, but the idea that you should do everything in CSS no matter
how difficult, how poorly supported or how many kludges are needed just
never sat well with me.

It still irks me to this day that the most popular layout choice wasn't
considered when they put together the CSS spec.  I really think that the W3C
got a little too into the philosophy on this one and not enough into the
practicality.

I would have much preferred had they set themselves some practical
challenges and said: "This is what people are using Tables to do, we should
ensure that CSS can do this stuff as or nearly as easily."

Jim Davis