I've just recently noticed that one of our databases in sqlserver has
no relationships defined.  I talked with the 'dba' about this and he
told me that all of that logic is contained in the VB app that updates
the data.  I'm not saying that there aren't any foreign keys defined,
just that he's not specified that relationship inside of the db.  So I
talked with my supervisor and he wanted some examples of why we should
move the logic out of VB and into the database.

Aside from the obvious reason of keeping the db logic inside of the db
and built in referential integrity, I was stumped.  I thought given
the relationships, sqlserver gets hints as to how to speed up joins
and such.  I've already suggested that different programs that use the
data wouldn't have to recreate the integrity logic, but I need
more.........or maybe I don't.  Maybe it's fine to keep this in VB?

--
Marlon

"I don't believe in heaven or hell, no saints, no sinners, no devil as
well, no pearly gates, no thorny crown, you're always looking us
humans down"