Sadly almost all of our projects here are done this way with the exception
of they rely on CFM instead of VB. The project I am trying to finish up
right now I put the ref. int. checking in the database and to help sell the
idea I made a custom tag and stored procedure that makes it a no brainer on
displaying any violations to the user. That in turn means less coding for
any future projects so hopefully they buy into the idea. As far as the
database being quicker, I am no expert on that but from what I remember when
I was reading on this it actually makes it a tad slower since it has to do
the check but I think that example was specific to Oracle and no telling if
it was correct or not.
 The only selling points I can think of to do it in the database is that
anything that interacts with the database has to enforce those rules. Things
that could interact may not be a program but could be an individual trying
to manually insert things. Individuals, other developers, inserting things
manually is what has bitten us hard in the past.