I like doing both.

But the difference (to me) is that in one case, your application is
preventing itself from inserting bad data. In the other case, the
database is preventing ANY application from inserting bad data.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to fix data because someone
hand-tweaked data in Enterprise Manager (or Access or Foxpro) directly
without going through an app.