it's an interesting point of view. He made me redo several papers
because I cited non-Native writers. His reasoning: if we are talking
about what it means to be Native American, what does a white man know?
Since there are lots of blond blue-eyed wannabes in Santa Fe I sort of
see his point. On the other hand, he himself was half Lebanese and
this point of view invalidates his own father's opinion, a man who
spent a lifetime in Laguna.

I suspect that this is one of those issues where context is everything
-- someone already familiar with the culture woud spot a tall tale
told to an anthropologist for example.

It's an area of controversy in the field, one the one hand effusive
websites  praising "Indian wisdom" of no specific origin, on the other
a kind of political correctness that says you aren't entitled to speak
out unless you're a government-certified indian.

That's where the remark comes from.