Looks like things aren't what we thought/hoped they were going to be:

The base $400 package will include a 20GB hard drive, headphones, a media
remote control, an HD cable and (yeah!) a faceplate.

However there will also be a "core system" package for $300 but will NOT
include a hard drive.

The unit will definitely be based on DVD (rather than Blue-Ray or HD-DVD).

All told this is a shot for those that assumed a Hard Drive would be
standard issue.  It's also a shot for games... if developers can't count on
the drive being available at all how likely is it that they'll leverage it
well?

This, coupled with the fact that the 360 will be using DVD AND the fact that
we can only assume the machine will be pushing more information than ever I
predict that (at least for some games) we'll be seeing some pretty lengthy
load times.  ;^)

Jim Davis