> Because this isn't a question of opinion, it's question of leadership.
> Either we all agree that the federal gov't's first job is to protect
> its citizens or we don't.  If we do, then gov't failed.  If we don't
> then what is gov't's first job?  Why do have FEMA, DHS, or a military?

The first line of defense against this hurricane by our government, in order
to "protect" its citizens, was a mandatory evacuation of New Orleans. This
was initiated at a local level. This was by FAR the best means for any level
of government to protect it's citizens....get them out.

Once the storm hit, and the levees broke, and our worst fears were
imagined....it now becomes EVERY level of governments job to try and save as
many of it's citizens that it can. At this point, all levels failed to
perform as they should have.

You think the primary failure was Bush and the Federali's....ok, fine. This
guy, who's been in a natural disaster situation before, feels the primary
failure was at the local level. I'm saying that his opinions bear
consideration. This IS a question of opinion, and it's a question of opinion
on leadership.

> Yes, maybe the local folks could've yelled louder, but especially
> after 9/11 it is DHS/FEMA's job to find the holes and patch them up.
> Remeber, this wasn't a local storm, it was a federal storm.

>From everything i've read, the FEMA was the agency that seemed to have
really dropped the ball here.

> The gov't's job is to take a US view things and decide where the
> problems could be and ensure they're covered.  If it isn't, why have
> them?

Exactly what FEMA is/was supposed to do. They failed miserably.