You are 100% wrong. The emergency declaration requested by governor and
granted by Bush put FEMA in charge. General Honore has stated several times
that the request came to him from the Governor through FEMA as early as
Friday, August 26.

>From the Department of Defence web site:

"Q General, Jamie McIntyre from CNN. To what extent is this additional
assistance you've outlined today a response to a request from the state
governors in Louisiana, Mississippi? And if so, can you tell us when
specifically you got that request?

 GEN. HONORÉ: Yes, sir. The process starts, sir, in this particular event,
with a request Friday of last week, as the approximate date for defense
coordinating offices to be established in Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and
Louisiana. Those were established in those states over Friday and Saturday.

 Q Sir, I'm specifically interested in how soon after the hurricane hit and
the extent of the damage became known did the governors request additional
assistance above and beyond what they had requested before?

 GEN. HONORÉ: Sir, that started to happen on Saturday, as the hurricane was
approaching, and was executed with the movement of my headquarters on Sunday
to Mississippi, where we established a joint -- JTF headquarters here in
Mississippi with a forward cell of the 5th United States Army in Louisiana.
And on Sunday we established JTF-Katrina, with myself as the task force
commander.

 And since that time, we've continued to flow naval air and Army helicopter
support and other assets, as requested by the governor, through FEMA. And
that is the process, and you know that works. The governor identified a
requirement. It goes to FEMA. That requirement is sent to Northern Command,
my boss, Admiral Keating, as parallel to General McNeill at Forces Command.
And we have started to flow the forces to your region. Over."

Balance of press briefing here:
http://www.dod.gov/transcripts/2005/tr20050901-3843.html