I think this changes things.

The employee gave the items to someone of authority who opted to throw
it away based on her own moral judgment of legal drug use.

I think there would be a fiduciary responsibility of the shop owner to
at least keep the items on hand for a given period before disposing of
the items or to turn it in to the police.

Dana

OK I guess this has gone on long enough. It was a kind of reality check.
  It was my purse, the prescription was from when I had surgery on my
hand,
and the ID in question was my green card and my driver's license. I
accidentally left it behind at a coffeeshop where I am a frequent
customer.
One of the servers (barristos?) recognized the picture and put it in the

manager's office after finding out I am not listed in the phone book.
 The manager threw the entire purse away because she does not agree with

drug use. I repeat. She did not just throw the pills away. She threw
away
the alien registration card that the happy federal government takes two
years to issue, and the driver's license that I may or may not be able
get without the green card, depending on whether Real ID has passed and
and
whether New Mexico in fact opted out. Fuck. Stress is the overwhelming
urge
to slap the living shit out of some sanctimonious silly bitch that
desperately needs it. I was just wondering... I did forget it, after
all.
But to have it, know it belongs to someone you know and will see again
and
throw it out.....
 ok.
 </rant>

Confidentiality Notice:  This message including any
attachments is for the sole use of the intended
information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited. If you are not the
intended recipient, please contact the sender and
delete any copies of this message.