I'm torn big time here too. I fight for separation of church and state
everywhere I can. The constitution only says that government shall make no
laws establishing religion or the free practice there of.  Having "under
God" in a pledge doesn't establish a religion....but it does purport a
belief. Is that distinction important? I don't really know.

I guess my question is, couldn't there have been a better solution? The
easiest, in my view, would be to simply remove "under God" from the pledge.
It wasn't there originally anyway!!

The rest of that pledge is so damn nifty....i hate throwing it out
completely. This seems like a "baby with the bathwater" scenario.